Today, we are going to be discussing How To Microwave Hot Dog. Hotdogs are a classic culinary item that is easy to make and satisfies everyone’s appetite. The meal prep will be hot and ready to serve in just a minute or two.
You can microwave hot dogs by piercing them with a fork or tiny knife to allow the juice to escape from the casing and prevent it from exploding. Place on a microwave-safe dish and cover with a moist paper towel.
Steps On How To Microwave Hot Dogs
- Place the hot dog(s) on a dish lined with paper towels to absorb grease and moisture that oozes out of the hot dog while it cooks, making cleanup a breeze.
- Make sure you’re using a microwave-safe plate. Glass or ceramic plates are secure bets.
- Prick the hot dog(s) a few times if desired. Hot dogs should be sliced a few times with a sharp tool before heating to prevent them from exploding.
- Place another towel on top. Using a second layer of paper towel to cover the hot dogs keeps moisture near them as they cook, resulting in a plump, juicy hot dog.
- If you’re rolling your hot dog, tuck the ends under to keep the towel from unraveling while it’s cooking.
- Preheat the oven to HIGH. Because of the microwave watt range, cooking times may differ slightly. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds on high in the microwave. When cooking more than one hot dog, increase the cooking time per hot dog by 20 seconds to ensure that it is thoroughly heated.
- Halfway through the cooking process, check on your hot dog(s). Because microwaves differ in their cooking strength, it’s a good idea to check on your hotdogs halfway through till they are all ready to serve. Serve immediately; when your hot dogs are as hot as you want them to be, they are ready to eat.
How Long Do You Cook Hot Dogs In The Microwave?
It should take about a minute to microwave hot dogs. However, this depends on the microwave’s power and the number of hot dogs being heated simultaneously.
One hot dog should take about 40 seconds in a microwave with a power of around 800-1000. Cooking times should be reduced if the microwave has a higher watt. When preparing more than one hot dog, the following cooking times should be followed:
- 1 minute 15 seconds for two hotdogs
- 2 minutes for 3-4 hotdogs
- 3 minutes for 5-6 hotdogs
- 4 minutes for 7-8 hotdogs
- 5 minutes for 9-10 hotdogs
Tips For Microwaving Hot Dog
Microwaving hotdogs instead of lighting up the grill is a quick and easy way to prepare them. When it comes to microwaving hotdogs, there’s more to it than just pressing a button to avoid burning, drying out, and bursting.
When cooking hotdogs in the microwave, keep the following points in mind:
- Before microwaving them on high heat, cover them with a paper towel. Wrapping them in a damp paper towel seals in all liquids and steam, resulting in a juicy, plump, and delectable hotdog.
- Microwave intervals should not be longer than 30 seconds at a time, as this may cause it to explode, burn, or harden.
- Turn them over and rotate them to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Before microwaving the hotdogs, pierce the casing with a fork or knife tip. This allows the delectable juices to flow freely, preventing the steam from becoming trapped inside and exploding.
- To keep the hot dog wet and soft, wrap it in a damp paper towel.
- If you don’t have a paper towel, cover the plate with a microwave or microwave-safe plastic wrap to keep the steam trapped and the meat moist.
Best Way To Microwave Hot Dogs In Water
- Slice the hot dog lengthwise with a knife deep enough to go a fourth through to prevent it from splitting while cooking.
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl halfway with water and submerge the hot dogs just enough to prevent the boiling water from spilling over. For one hot dog, microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add 20 to 30-second intervals to properly heat additional hot dogs. To ensure that the hot dog is safe to eat, use an instant thermometer to ensure that the inside temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius.
- Drain the water from the bowl and drain the hot dogs on a paper towel once they’ve finished cooking. To enjoy, serve with heated hotdog buns and top with your favorite toppings.
You are not alone if you have been cooking hot dogs wrapped in a damp paper towel and wondering if it is safe to boil water in the microwave. It is, in reality, straightforward to avoid superheated water in the microwave if necessary precautions are taken.
Also, hot dogs cooked in water are slightly healthier since some fat, salt, and preservatives are leached into the cooking liquid. On the other hand, if the hot dog is overcooked or soaked in too much water, it may get mushy and lose part of its flavor.
Tips For The Perfect Hot Dog In The Microwave
Begin with a Good Hot Dog
Quality meat is the most excellent method to produce a fantastic hot dog. Look for hot dogs with no artificial flavours or fillings. Oscar Meyer’s uncured hotdogs or Hillshire Farms Beef Hot Links are excellent choices.
Wrap your hot dog with a paper towel
The last thing you want is for it to dry out. Wrap the dogs in a paper towel before microwaving to preserve the meat juicy and moist.
Cook Hotdogs in Intervals
Always cook hotdogs in intervals when using the microwave. Continue to keep an eye on the hot dogs. This prevents the device from overheating and exploding.
For more powerful microwave ovens, use less time, and for lesser tabletop versions, use more time.
Adjust for Size
Jumbo hot dogs take longer to cook than ordinary hot dogs.To serve hot dogs straight from the microwave, prepare your buns ahead of time. Microwave them before toasting them in the oven, grill, or skillet.
Do Hot Dogs Explode In The Microwave?
It’s happened to every one of us at least once. You put your hot dogs in the microwave, go away, and return to find the franks have burst on both ends. If the ends of your hot dogs continue to burst, reduce the wattage or shorten the cooking time the next time you prepare them.
This is the incorrect approach to take. Hot dogs will “explode,” so to speak, owing to steam, not because of cooking time or microwave power. When you microwave a hot dog, a thick layer of steam forms within the frank. The dog is blown up by these steam pockets.
What Is The Best Way To Tell If A Hot Dog Is Fully Cooked?
You may have heard that if you put a completely cooked hot dog in a jar of water, it will float. This is ridiculous and inaccurate for determining whether a hot dog is done. Whether you boil the Franks or not, they will float.
Instead, peek at your hot dog the first time it comes out of the microwave to see whether it’s cooked. When the skin of your hot dog has clear folds, especially at the ends, you can tell it’s done.
You may also examine the external color of the hot dog. The hot dog will be pink at first, then become a deeper brown. But don’t allow the frank to become black; it’s a clear indicator that it’s been cooked too long!
Is Microwaving Hot Dogs Safe
Microwaving hot dogs is perfectly safe. Microwaved hotdogs are safe to eat as long as they reach an internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius.
It’s worth noting that if the meat isn’t properly microwaved, it can be dangerous due to listeria bacteria in the undercooked meat.
If you’re pregnant, elderly, or have a weakened immune system, these bacteria can make you sick. To avoid this, microwave hot dogs until they’re thoroughly heated, killing the bacteria.
Microwaving hot dogs does not change their texture or flavor if they are not overcooked. Overcooking makes it dry and difficult to chew, completely changing the tenderness.
Is It Better To Boil Or Microwave Hot Dogs?
Although we’ve largely discussed microwaving hot dogs in this post, it’s far from the only method of preparing a frank. You may also cook them in the oven, on the grill, in a skillet, or by boiling them.
Blanching a hot dog in a kettle of water is the first step to boiling it. Pour at least a quart of water into the pan, bring to a boil, then add the hot dogs and simmer for approximately five minutes. It seems to be more convenient than microwaving, particularly if you want to prepare eight or more hot dogs, but is it really better?
While it is a matter of personal opinion, most people agree that microwaving a hot dog is preferable to boiling one. There are several explanations for this. In comparison to microwaved dogs and particularly grilled franks, boiled hot dogs are bland. Although the dogs seem fat, when they are cooked, they become floppy and sloppy.
Conclusion on How To Microwave Hot Dog
Microwaving hot dogs is simple, especially if you’re cooking for a single or double serving. It will cook in less than a minute, satisfying your hunger with juicy, meaty franks in every bite.
Begin by poking holes in the casing with a fork and a small knife tip to allow steam to escape and prevent it from exploding. Wrap each hotdog in a paper towel dampened with water or chicken broth, or use the paper towel to cover the plate when heating multiple sausages.
Microwaving hot dogs, when done correctly, does not affect their texture or flavor. Make sure they don’t overcook by checking on them from time to time. Microwaving hotdogs should be on your to-do list the next time you need a quick bite to eat.